Senior Director of Marketing and Communications
Company: Scion Staffing
Location: Newport Beach
Posted on: April 5, 2021
Scion Executive Search () has been retained to conduct the
search for a Senior Director of Marketing and Communications for
Orange County Community Foundation (OCCF). OCCF is an incredible
organization with the mission to inspire a passion for lifelong
philanthropy, faithfully steward the intentions of their donors and
catalyze sustainable community impact.
The Senior Director of Marketing and Communications is the lead
storyteller for OCCF, articulating the work and impact of the
organization to targeted audiences, from prospective donors and
current donors to allied professionals and other partners. A key
Leadership Team member, this role plans, develops, and implements
the Foundation's engaging marketing, communications and public
relations strategies and activities. This incredible leadership
opportunity works with a highly motivated, positive team that is
inspired to support and enable life-changing community impact in
This opportunity is for immediate hire and will work full-time,
on-site in the Foundation's private, spacious office in beautiful
Newport Beach, California.
About Orange County Community Foundation
The Orange County Community Foundation partners with generous
individuals, families, and businesses owners to fulfill their
philanthropic objectives with tax-wise strategies and tools to
support the causes they care about most. The Foundation has awarded
nearly $780 million in grants and scholarships in Orange County,
across the country, and around the world.
OCCF's internal team is an innovative, highly mission-driven group
focused on driving impact and facilitating the connection of Orange
County residents to philanthropy. In addition to their work as
expert philanthropic advisors, OCCF leads initiatives tackling a
broad range of community issues, from helping veterans return to
civilian life to promoting educational equity and helping minority
business owners thrive.
OCCF At a Glance
- Founded in 1989 and celebrated 30 years of impact in 2019.
- Home to 600 charitable funds benefiting a wide range of
- Works with donor advisors, private and family foundations and
professional advisors to meet giving goals.
- Ranks in the top 2 percent in grantmaking among 780 U.S.
community foundations, and in the top 10% in total assets.
- Recipient of a 4-star rating Charity Navigator for sound fiscal
management and commitment to accountability and
Reporting to the EVP/COO and working closely with the President/CEO
and Leadership Team, the Sr. Director of Marketing and
Communications role will create a robust marketing, communications
and public relations strategy to support organizational growth
goals and ongoing community engagement. A key part of this strategy
will introduce new audiences to OCCF, such as donors and
professional advisors (Philanthropic Strategy), and more deeply
engage existing donor partnerships (Center for Engaged Philanthropy
and Donor Relations & Programs). This includes transforming donor
stories, along with OCCF team knowledge and expertise, into
exciting and useful messages - and then disseminating them to
targeted audiences. OCCF shares this information via various
channels including editorial content, e-newsletters, social media,
events and more.
Managing a Digital Marketing Manager, the Sr. Director will lead a
small but mighty internal team and oversee multiple specialized
vendors to execute the marketing, communications and public
relations workplan. Keeping the bigger picture in focus, this
leader regularly jumps from higher level strategy to ground-level
execution - and back - to ensure marketing and communications
activities align with organizational goals.
This is an exciting opportunity; OCCF has powerful success stories,
strong data and proven outcomes. This role is key to positioning
the Foundation as a philanthropic thought leader in Orange
County--- and beyond!
Overall Strategy Development & Execution
- Work with OCCF leadership to develop and implement a
comprehensive, strategic marketing and communications plan that
leverages multiple channels.
- Increase OCCF name recognition by the public and community
through consistent and effective messaging regarding the
- Create opportunities to ensure OCCF is positioned as a thought
leader and seen as the preeminent resource for Orange County
- Support the work and priorities of the Board of Governors,
including Racial Justice & Equity commitment and overall
- Execute strategic communications and outreach to and engagement
with high-capacity donors to result in asset growth.
- Lead and manage a website redesign process to include
soliciting feedback from staff, Board members and other key
stakeholders and working to identify and work with an external
- Work with colleagues across departments to capture engaging
stories, photos and video content.
- Produce, disseminate and maintain online and print marketing
materials (including talking points, pitch decks, articles, and
speeches), as well as videos.
- Oversee event management, including donor education, program
amplification and outreach events, such as OCCF's Annual Meeting
which draws 700+ donors and business and community leaders each
- Create overall digital plan and provide strategic guidance to
Digital Marketing Manager around implementation of digital
marketing activities, including social media, website improvements,
email newsletters, etc.
- Identify and manage tools such as SEO to grow website traffic
- Identify, recommend, execute and maintain efficiencies across
organization's Marketing and Communications activities. Content
Creation & Ideation
- Manage all aspects of the development of collateral material,
including annual reports, e-newsletters, brochures, videos and
other materials as identified.
- Engage, identify and support OCCF's Leadership Team with the
communications needs for their departments.
- Oversee content/design ideation, production, printing and
mailing for OCCF's Annual Report. Event Management & Planning
- Oversee the planning and execution of 5-10 outreach and
education events per year (virtual, in-person or hybrid), including
OCCF's cornerstone Annual Meeting event.
- Liaise with outside service providers (i.e. photographers,
production teams, videographers, printers, venues, etc.).Vendor
- Manage relationship with outside marketing and public relations
agencies and all external vendors supporting the department to
ensure quality and timely completion of various projects.
- Provide first level review and recommendation on vendor
- Track invoices and route to appropriate parties to ensure
- Lead RFP process for selecting new vendors.Administration &
- Provide direction and oversight to Digital Marketing Manager by
setting clear performance expectations and development goals.
- Provide mentoring and coaching as well as timely feedback on
work product and areas of growth.
- Set marketing department goals and objectives.
- Develop, monitor and adjust Marketing & Communications budget
- Lead internal and external project management of all Marketing
& Communications deliverables.
- Serve as an effective collaborator, able to balance and blend
various department needs and priorities into an effective marketing
strategy and work with other teams to complement and support each
other's plans and objectives.Qualifications
We are seeking a skilled marketing, communications and public
relations leader with experience serving as the primary marcom
resource for a company or organization. A strong candidate for this
position will be an entrepreneurial, personable, confident,
methodical, and enthusiastic team member. While this role will
design higher level strategy for the department, equally as
important will be the ability to execute that strategy via
on-the-ground work and daily leadership.
- A Bachelor's degree in marketing, communications or related
- At least five (5) years of relevant experience in the design
and execution of marketing, communications and public relations
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve
as a resource across the organization and to position
communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical
- Passion for the mission and work of OCCF.
- Ability to tell complex, nuanced stories succinctly and with
- Powerful, dynamic writer and storyteller; sophisticated and
- Demonstrated successful experience writing content for press
releases, editorial pieces, newsletters, videos and more.
- Experience designing and overseeing the design and production
of print materials and publications.
- Experience managing and building efficient communications and
marketing systems and processes that effectively engage multiple
staff in producing quality end products.
- Tech savvy; ability to use a wide variety of computer programs
such as customer/donor relations software, communications and
design software, email and MS Office.
- Digital expertise includes familiarity with digital analytics,
including website..... click apply for full job details
Keywords: Scion Staffing, Newport Beach , Senior Director of Marketing and Communications, Accounting, Auditing , Newport Beach, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!