Development Director, Southwest
Company: Community Development Partners
Location: Newport Beach
Posted on: January 15, 2023
At , we are deeply proud of our track record of providing
award-winning solutions to housing. We work every day to achieve
our mission of creating life-enhancing affordable housing that
transcends the fundamental goal of providing high quality homes by
builiding innovative and sustainable developments with a focus on
long-term community engagement. As a mission-driven certified B
Corp, we are unique in our field as a for-profit developer that
leads with our impact goals. Since our inception in 2012, we have
built a portfolio of nearly 3,000 homes with another 1,000 in our
pipeline, amounting to over $1.2 billion in total development
costs. -Sure, that's what we do, and we are passionately committed
to it, but equally as important is who we are as a team. We believe
in forward progress, continuous collaboration, authentic
connection, and mixing it all up with a healthy dose of fun. As an
Equal Opportunity Employer, we offer a full suite of benefits that
includes highly subsidized insurance, retirement plan with matching
contributions, a sabbatical program, cell phone reimbursement, PTO,
and more. -We're adding to our growing team, and our SW
-Development Director -based out of our Newport Beach, California
office is just the latest in our growth plan! As our Development
Director for the Southwest region, you will be an integral part of
the Development team, leading the acquisition, development, and
management of our projects from inception to permanent loan
conversion in California, Arizona and Nevada. You will be a
strategic partner to the development staff and leadership team as
we implement systems, tools and processes that support a smoother
workflow, allowing for great impact across the organization. -Your
role will involve: -
- Supervising Project Managers, Development Managers and
Development Associates, directing their work through all phases of
- Working collaboratively with the CDO, Development Director NW
and Transaction Manager to provide clarity and consistency across
the development department.
- Managing the SW pipeline of development to meet CDP's strategic
- Researching potential sources of project funding and assisting
project managers with structuring projects, seeking early feedback
from other internal and external stakeholders, as needed.
- Reviewing project proformas and providing guidance on project
- Evaluating funding requests and authorizing spending consistent
with approved project budgets.
- Monitoring projects to assess tracking with schedules and
budgets, and assisting with addressing material changes to the
timeline and/or budget impacts.
- Participating in project-related meetings as necessary,
including strategy and negotiation sessions, programming meetings,
design and construction meetings, community meetings, etc.
- Supervising and guide contractor and consultant selection
process including evaluating fee proposals and finalizing contract
terms and conditions.
- Reviewing and approving team members' work product including
funding applications, legal documents, financial projections,
internal board approval reports, fee projections, etc.
- Fostering and maintaining a supportive team environment and
implementing team building/learning opportunities.
- Preparing quarterly predevelopment and developer fee
projections to support the organization's financial planning.
- Developing and implementing ongoing staff training, growing the
team's knowledge and skills.
- Collaborating with the Chief Development Officer to review
opportunities and assess staffing plans and needs.
- Building strong working relationships with government agencies,
joint developers, lenders and investors. -If the following
describes you, we want to hear from you:
- Ability to successfully interface and build strong
cross-functional relationships with all levels of internal team
members and external strategic partners (agencies, legislators,
elected officials, jurisdictions, other stakeholders and decision
makers), finding common ground and solving problems for the good of
- Ability to maneuver through complex local political situations
effectively and quietly.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills (in English),
allowing for clear and succinct communication in a variety of
settings (phone, video, in-person, email), and with people of
various backgrounds and levels, both internally and
- Ability to assemble talented staff, hiring the best people
available from inside or outside the organization.
- Ability to lead and develop direct reports, providing
challenging and stretching tasks and assignments while creating
strong morale and spirit on the team, managing accountability as
- Ability to accurately scope out length and difficulty of work
and projects, anticipating and adjusting for problems, clearly
assigning responsibility for tasks and decisions, setting clear
objectives, ensuring progress and results, while embedding feedback
loops into the work.
- Clearly and comfortably delegates both routine and important
tasks and decisions; broadly shares both responsibility and
accountability; trusts people to perform; allows direct reports and
others to finish their work.
- A strong customer focus, with dedication to meeting the
expectations, needs and requirements of internal and external
customers, successfully gaining their trust and respect.
- Willingness to stand up and be counted, taking personal
responsibility for outcomes, and can be counted on when times are
- High level of expertise in real estate finance and deal
structuring. Mastery over all aspects of complicated LIHTC
- Advanced knowledge of affordable housing financing, and
advanced analytical, financial and quantitative skills, including
the ability to review complex financial reports prepared by
- Ability to solve problems involving multiple options, making
decisions with an in-depth understanding and interpretation of
procedures, company policies and business practices to achieve
- Technically savvy with a thorough knowledge of MS Office
(PowerPoint, Excel, Word) and comfort with Google Suite.
- Ability to meet multiple deadlines and work in a fast-paced
environment. -Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelors Degree in Business Administration, Urban Planning,
Real Estate Development, Architecture or another relevant
- Minimum 7 years of real estate development experience.
- Minimum 7 years of LIHTC experience, including direct
experience with California LIHTC.
- Minimum 5 years of people management, preferably direct reports
or equivalent external vendor management.
- Experience managing both ground-up and rehab projects.
- Masters in real estate development or related field preferred.
Powered by JazzHRPI199437107
Keywords: Community Development Partners, Newport Beach , Development Director, Southwest, Executive , Newport Beach, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!