Medical Assistant III
Company: City of Hope
Location: Newport Beach
Posted on: May 23, 2023
About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope's translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. - AccessHope---, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope's specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation's "Best Hospitals" in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.
City of Hope's commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. - Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. - We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Job duties may vary depending on facility. -
Medical Assistants are unlicensed individuals who perform under the direction of a licensed provider basic administrative, clerical, and non-invasive routine technical supportive services. - Non-invasive technical supportive services are defined as simple, routine medical tasks and procedures. Recognizes and reports changes in a patients' condition. Functions as a member of the multidisciplinary team. Demonstrates investment in the overall forward movement of the unit and the organization. The duties may vary from setting to setting, depending on the size, location, and type. Applies good interpersonal and communication process utilizing verbal and non-verbal skills to achieve organizational service goals of customer satisfaction and a positive work environment. -
Key Responsibilities include: - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - Prepares for patient appointments by reviewing and updating patient records prior to appointment. Reviews patient record (EHR) to determine needed services and whether referrals are in process or have been completed since last visit. -
- - - - - - - Prepares exam and treatment rooms with necessary instruments prior to patient appointment -
- - - - - - - Greets patients and escorts them from the waiting room to exam rooms; Completes rooming activity to include vital signs, height, weight, allergies, chief complaint, screening, medication list, and pharmacy information. - Recognizes and reports abnormal results or changes in patient condition to licensed member of care team. -
- - - - - - - Assists provider or nurse upon request during examination / procedure of patient and according to generally accepted medical standards. Practices universal precautions with respect to established safety protocols. Facilitates communication between the provider(s) and patient as needed, including translation as appropriate. -
- - - - - - - Performs basic nursing procedures including thermal applications, non-sterile soaks and applications of simple dressing, perineal care, and urine test. Assists patients with ADLs as indicated. -
- - - - - - - Administers injections as ordered and under the direction of licensed clinical care team member and within scope of practice. -
- - - - - - - Performs phlebotomy and specimen collection, if applicable to the clinical setting. -
- - - - - - - Maintains a safe, comfortable, and therapeutic environment for the patient and their families.
- - - - - - - - Pre-certifies surgical and other procedures, if appropriate. Schedules tests and off-site procedures when necessary. -
- - - - - - - If applicable to the clinic setting, assists providers in procedures. Responsible for adherence to sterile field set-up, sterile technique, and annual competency validation. -
- - - - - - - Maintains compliance with manufacture guidelines to include, but not limited to disinfectant/sterilization and safe handling of instruments/equipment -
- - - - - - - Disposes of contaminated items according to OSHA guidelines. -
- - - - - - - Handles laboratory specimens according to OSHA and CLIA guidelines. -
- - - - - - - Transmits patient education when appropriate using preprinted education materials, links, etc. -
- - - - - - - Replenishes supplies, stocks, and cleans exam rooms daily. Takes medical stock inventory and communicates supply shortage to Clinical leadership -
- - - - - - - Maintains company code of conduct and patient confidentiality as regulated by HIPPA -
- - - - - - - Attends annual CPR, OSHA and CLIA training programs as applicable. -
- - - - - - - Attends all staff meetings -
- Assists with telehealth visits to include but not limited to chart prep, contacting patient prior to appointment, completing virtual rooming process, supporting patient during virtual visit, completing visit wrap-up, scheduling test and off-site procedures where indicated, and charge reconciliation.
About City of Hope
Keywords: City of Hope, Newport Beach , Medical Assistant III, Healthcare , Newport Beach, California
here to apply!