FRONT OFFICE ASSISTANT - NB351 Gynecological Oncology (Newport Beach, CA, US)
Company: Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian
Location: Newport Beach
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Front Office Assistant III The Front Office Assistant, under the
direction of the Site Supervisor or Site Manager, performs a
variety of clerical duties and front office operations in support
of the patient care activities of the department. Interacts with
patients, their family members or surrogate decision makers, and
the general public courteously and according to established
HMG-HMTS Standards. Ensures a well-paced patient flow and
continuous communication with other members of the HMG-HMTS team.
The Front Office Assistant displays and practices a work-style that
reflects the mission, vision and values of HMG-HMTS and
participates in the continuous quality improvement process.
Maintains a working knowledge of departmental policies and
procedures and proficiency with software applications necessary to
perform job functions.
Front Office Assistant III:
- Facilitates the patient registration and check-in process:
o Greets patients, and anyone accompanying patients, promptly
and courteously upon their arrival to HMG-HMTS, using eye contact
and introducing self. o Provides direction and assistance to all
o Collects required information from patient per established
o Accurately determines total charges for visit; calculates
patient financial responsibility for cash patients per established
o Collects patient co-pay and any past due balances per
o Ensures that all appropriate patient forms are provided to the
patient. Collects and files completed forms.
- Answers phones, consistently providing timely and accurate
- May schedule patient appointments and perform other tasks
related to appointment scheduling, including confirmations,
cancellations, and rescheduling. Communicates promptly with
clinical staff and/or supervisor regarding schedule.
- Promptly updates visit statuses in the patient registration
system (e.g., arrives, cancels, no shows).
- Verifies each patient’s insurance information prior to their
- Oversees the front area for cleanliness, safety and continuous
awareness of visitors, alerting supervisor of any issues.
- Recognizes the presence of patient issues that may require
immediate clinical assessment or action, based on BLS training and
the Red Flag List, and notifies clinical staff.
- Opens and closes office as shift requires, ensuring that all
doors are secured, equipment turned on/off and communicates
problems to supervisor in a timely manner.
- May assemble and send new patient packets, registration
packets, and history/physical forms prior to scheduled
- Supports all administrative functions for HMG-HMTS, including
recordkeeping and correspondence.
- Demonstrates flexibility in accepting schedule and work
- Reports to the supervisor in a timely manner all "near misses",
potential, and actual errors.
- Documents all messages (regardless of source).
- Keeps supervisor informed when problems may interfere with work
being completed on time.
- Attends all meetings as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Aids in maintaining appropriate supply levels for HMG-HMTS,
providing input for the office supply ordering. Assists with the
receipt, distribution, and storage of supplies.
- Responds appropriately to inquiries and complaints. Can
troubleshoot and problem solve independently as situations
- Ensures Front Office equipment functions properly, placing
services calls when required.
- Orders, distributes and stores office supplies for
Other requirements of the Front Office Assistant, Float and
- Position may require local travel between various Organization
- Position may require participating in meetings outside of
normal business hours including occasional evenings and/or
Education, Training and Experience
Required: Front Office Assistant III:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum one (1) year clerical experience, including filing, use
of calculator and basic telephone skills.
- Customer service experience can be substituted for clerical or
health care experience.
Front Office Assistant: • One (1) year medical front office
experience within a healthcare system environment.
Skills or Other Qualifications
Required: Front Office Assistant I:
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook,
Word and Excel.
- Excellent communication skills; customer focused; excellent
attention to detail; able to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines;
strong interpersonal skills; able to work in a team
- Ability to interface with all customer levels (physicians,
Organizational staff, insurance companies, patients and family
Preferred: Front Office Assistant I:
- Knowledge of registration and order entry systems.
- Knowledge of medical terminology. • Knowledge of patient
scheduling and insurance verification.
- Trouble-shooting and problem-solving skills. • Intermediate
knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook, Word and
License and Certifications
Required: Current BLS certification
Keywords: Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian, Newport Beach , FRONT OFFICE ASSISTANT - NB351 Gynecological Oncology (Newport Beach, CA, US), Other , Newport Beach, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!